Mistakes to Avoid During Gutter Cleaning in Pensacola, FLOctober 16, 2018 10:48 pm Leave your thoughts
Gutter cleaning is a necessary yet potentially dangerous household chore. Any time you climb up on a high ladder, there’s always a risk of an accident. But if you don’t have gutter covers installed on your home, you’ll need to perform this chore regularly to keep your gutters free of debris, preventing water from building up around your foundation.
Here are a few of the most common mistakes made during gutter maintenance in Pensacola, FL, which you should do your very best to avoid:
- Ladder-related accidents: Any time you climb a ladder to clean out your gutters, you should follow general ladder safety precautions. Every year across the country there are thousands of homeowners who spend time in the emergency room because of an injury suffered while using a ladder. Therefore, before you start your ascent, check to make sure the ladder is in good condition, and that there is no loose hardware. If you haven’t used your ladder in a while or are unfamiliar or inexperienced with it, this will help you make sure it’s safe for use and that you’re comfortable climbing it. Be sure to have a friend on hand to stabilize the ladder while you climb.
- Improper footwear: Whenever using a ladder, always wear rubber-soled shoes with clean bottoms. Rubber soles have more traction than other types of shoes, so they’ll help prevent slips and falls. Always avoid wearing sandals or flip-flops—they don’t offer much in the way of support, traction or general protection.
- Improper cleaning tools: If you’re doing your own gutter cleaning, you should make sure you have the right tools for the job. This means using gutter sprays, vacuum attachments and rotary gutter cleaning systems.
- Not using safety equipment: Many homeowners perform their gutter cleaning without using any safety equipment or protective gear. You should always have eye protection on, because it’s impossible to know exactly what’s going to come out of a downspout. It’s also a good idea to use heavy-duty gloves to protect against sharp objects, unpleasant textures and bacteria-filled debris.
- Trying to reach too far: Yes, it’s inconvenient to have to move your ladder frequently while you’re cleaning your gutter, but it’s absolutely necessary. Overreaching will result in you getting off balance, which could lead to a fall. And this should go without saying, but you should never attempt to move the ladder while you are still on the ladder. The extra 30 seconds it takes to climb down and move the ladder is worth the significantly safer process.
- Not taking breaks: Don’t feel like you have to plow through your gutter cleaning. You should take your time and take some breaks, especially if it’s hot or if you feel yourself getting lightheaded.
These are just a few of the most common mistakes people make across the country while cleaning out their gutters. For more information from the pros about gutter cleaning in Pensacola, FL, contact the team at Gutter Master today with your questions.
Categorised in: Cleaning Gutters, Gutter Maintenance
This post was written by Writer