Are Gutters Necessary for Your Home?July 3, 2019 3:12 pm Leave your thoughts
If you’re in the process of purchasing or building a new home, or overhauling your existing home’s roof, you may be wondering whether or not you really need to have gutters installed along your roof line. Gutters, after all, represent a significant investment. Wouldn’t it be more cost-effective to just remove them, and not replace them?
Gutters guide rainwater runoff in Pensacola, FL away from your roof and your home’s foundation. While this may seem like a relatively straightforward task, it’s nonetheless exceptionally important for maintaining the structural integrity of your home and its roof.
While homes in dry areas that don’t experience heavy amounts of rainfall may be able to get away without rain gutters, homes in the Florida Panhandle risk significant damage without a working, dependable gutter system installed.
Here are just some of the reasons that you need to keep gutters on your home:
- Protects the roof: One of the most important roles that gutters play is whisking runoff in Pensacola, FL away from your roof. Gutters help prevent water from pooling on certain areas of your roof during high rain events. This is important, because it prevents the potential for roof rot or leaks. Gutters also carry debris, like leaves, away from your roof.
- Directs water away from the foundation: Without gutters, all of the runoff in Pensacola, FL that falls off of your roof during heavy rain events will pool around the base of your home. This is dangerous—it could eventually erode the soil supporting your home’s foundation, particularly if your home is in an area with soft clay or sandy soil.
- Keeps the landscaping in good condition: Gutters whisk water away from your home’s landscaped garden beds, and moves it toward designated runoff areas. This helps keep your plants in good condition—it can help prevent them from being damaged or drowned by too much moisture.
- Stops basement flooding: When water falls directly off of your home’s roof, it can easily lead to basement flooding, especially if you have windows or other potential points of entry surrounding your home’s basement. Keeping working gutters, however, can help you avoid the adverse impacts of a flooded basement.
- Protects home siding: Lots of moisture running down the sides your home can lead to damaged siding. If water is routinely being directed down the sides of your home, it could cause the siding to degrade or discolor, reducing your home value. Gutters prevent this from occurring by moving water away from the sides of the house.
Since 1990, Gutter Master has been a trusted provider of gutter care and installation serving the Florida Panhandle. If you’re looking for a local, community-based partner to help you manage rainwater runoff in Pensacola, FL, reach out to one of our friendly, knowledgeable gutter experts today. We’ll help you identify a gutter solution that meets your needs. Our family-owned company has been the region’s top gutter contractor for nearly 30 years. Contact one of our gutter experts today to learn more about what we can do for you!
Categorised in: Runoff
This post was written by Writer