The History of Rain GuttersJuly 29, 2021 1:57 am Leave your thoughts
Rain gutters are essential when it comes to protecting homes from water damage, especially during the fall and winter, when precipitation tends to escalate. However, even though rain gutters in Pensacola, FL are crucial, many homeowners don’t know much about how their gutters work, let alone how they came to be developed in the first place. Find out more about the history of rain gutters by reading on!
Gutters throughout history
A lot of people assume gutters are a relatively recent invention, but gutter systems have actually been around for thousands of years. Here’s some information about the history of gutters and how we ended up with the modern gutters used today in Pensacola, FL:
- Ancient civilizations: While ancient civilizations didn’t have access to the same manufacturing materials and processes we have today to manufacture gutters in Pensacola, FL, rudimentary gutter systems have been around for thousands of years. Since as far back as 3,000 BCE, people have been building drainage systems to divert water away from buildings and prevent flooding. These early gutter systems were typically made of stone, brick or wood. Many early civilizations fixed these systems to roofs in a design that roughly resembles modern gutter installation in Pensacola, FL.
- Middle Ages: During the Middle Ages, many civilizations began constructing large buildings, including massive churches and cathedrals. Many gutter systems at this time included interconnected spouts and channels, many of which were hidden in decorative stone gargoyles on the roofs of castles and cathedrals.
- 16th century: By the 16th century, gutters were made with more modern materials. Iron gutters became increasingly popular around this time as a replacement for outdated lead gutters. In addition, gutters were increasingly included as a standard feature of homes, and were designed to complement the architectural style of the home itself.
- Industrial Revolution: During the Industrial Revolution, gutter manufacturing became far more prominent. Gutters were manufactured on a massive scale and could be made more quickly and at lower costs than ever before. By the 1960s, a machine was developed that made it possible to manufacture seamless aluminum gutters very quickly and cost effectively.
- Modern times: Today, gutters are more sophisticated than ever. Since gutters were first developed, many changes and innovations have been made to create gutters that perform better, last longer and cost less to produce and install. Gutters are made with all kinds of materials, including aluminum, galvanized steel, copper and vinyl. In addition, gutter installation contractors have access to sophisticated equipment to custom cut and install gutters to ensure the best performance possible.
Learn more about gutter installation in Pensacola, FL
At Gutter Master, we know how important it is to have reliable gutters, and we offer comprehensive services, including gutter installation, to ensure property owners throughout the Pensacola, FL area can keep their homes protected from the elements no matter what the forecast has in store. Find out more about the services we have to offer and get started with a consultation and quote by giving us a call today.
Categorised in: House Gutters
This post was written by Writer