Rain barrels are designed to collect rainwater as it comes out of the roof downspouts. This water is then used for non-potable purposes, such as watering plants and washing laundry. Using rain barrels to capture stormwater is an excellent way to reduce your monthly water bill while becoming more eco-friendly. However, maintenance of your rain barrel is crucial. Learn why rain barrel maintenance is important and how to take care of a rain barrel below.
Why Is Rain Barrel Maintenance Necessary?
Rain barrel maintenance is important for numerous reasons. For one, if the rainwater is not used regularly, it will become a breeding location for various insects. In addition, the rain barrel may tip over or result in soil erosion around your home’s foundation. Further, the rain barrel may become clogged without regular maintenance, leading to no rainwater entering or exiting the barrel.
Dos and Don’ts for Maintaining a Rain Barrel
There are several things you should and should not do when it comes to maintaining your rain barrel.
- Do inspect the rain collection system to ensure everything is functioning properly.
- Do use some form of gutter guard or screen on the downspouts and the barrel to prevent debris from entering the rain barrel.
- Do regularly remove built-up debris from the screens.
- Do regularly use the collected rainwater so it doesn’t overflow or stagnate.
- Do use vinegar or another non-toxic substance when cleaning the rain barrel to thoroughly remove algae, residue, and other contamination from inside the barrel.
- Do open the barrel spigot if you intend to be away from home for an extended time and ensure the rainwater will drain away from the foundation.
- Don’t drink the water from the rain barrel. This water is solely for non-potable purposes.
- Don’t allow water to sit in the rain barrel for extended periods of time.
- Don’t forget to disconnect and drain the barrel for the winter season and reconnect it in spring.
- Don’t allow the foundation beneath and around the rain barrel to become uneven, as this may lead to instability and the barrel tipping over.
- Don’t allow children or pets to play around or in the rain barrel.
The above information helps you understand the importance of rain barrel maintenance and how to take care of a rain barrel so you can reap the benefits of it for some time. Contact Gutter Master for more information and tips.
Categorised in: Rain Barrel
This post was written by admin